MANILA, Philippines – Hubert Webb on Thursday said he wants to have those persons lying as well as those guilty in the Vizconde massacre case punished as he issued a challenge to the so-called new witnesses who are linking him again to the Vizconde massacre case to undergo lie detector tests with him.
Webb, who visited his friends who are still in the National Bilibid Prison in Muntinlupa, said he would really like to put a closure to the massacre case that had him spend 15 years in jail.
“Kung puwede lang po, mag-lie detector nang sabay sabay... sabay sabay na, kasi para makita talaga [ang tototo],” he said.
Public Attorney’s Office chief Persida Acosta earlier said that new witnesses have come forward to link Webb anew to the Vizconde massacre.
She said she has informed Department of Justice (DOJ) Secretary Leila de Lima through text messages and phone calls that the new witnesses are requesting to be entered in the government’s Witness Protection Program.
Webb, however, slammed these new witnesses.
“That's why we're trying to say na it's hard to forgive someone if they keep on bothering you. We're hoping that they stop. You can't just destroy someone's name or reputation by doing things, it's easy. And to recover from our [suffering] is not that easy,” said Webb.
He said that like Lauro Vizconde, they are also finding the real culprits in the crime.
Webb said that once they do, they will be exonerated from the murder case.
“Like Mr. Vizconde we are looking for who did it because when we do, we're definitely cleared,” he said.
Vizconde filed a motion for reconsideration last Wednesday to the Supreme Court seeking to reverse the ruling acquitting Webb and the others in the controversial massacre case.
Webb also added that he hopes that authorities will be able to bring back to the Philippines the so-called Vizconde massacre star witness Jessica Alfaro.
"We're hoping that we can bring those people in here again, hoping for Sec. De lima to talk to them, as well as us if we would be given the opportunity, we would be willing to talk to her so we could inform her of what we have," he said.
He hopes that the true perpetrators of the crime will eventually be brought to justice.
"'Yon ang New Year's wish ko, for those persons who are lying to be punished by law," said Webb.
Webb, meanwhile, brought joy to his former “kakosa” (jailmates), many of whom did not have visitors during the Christmas holidays.
“It’s kind of hard also for me. I feel them because I have people visit me also,” said Webb.
His former jailmates welcomed Webb. “Masarap kasama si Hubert,” said one.
Webb, son of former Senator Freddie Webb, is one of 6 people convicted by a Parañaque regional trial court judge for the massacre of a mother, 47-year-old Estrellita Vizconde, and her 2 children, 18-year-old Carmela and 7-year-old Jennifer Vizconde, in Parañaque on June 30, 1991.
The Vizconde trial was dubbed the trial of the century because all the accused came from prominent families.
Aside from Webb, the others accused were: Antonio "Tony Boy" Lejano, son of actress Pinky de Leon; Michael Gatchalian and Miguel Rodriguez, sons of prominent lawyers; Peter Estrada, son of a wealthy businessman; Pyke Fernandez, son of a retired Navy commodore; and former police officer Gerardo Biong.
The Supreme Court en banc reversed the verdict and ordered the release of the 6. Biong was released last month after serving his sentence. -- With a report from Henry Omaga-Diaz, ABS-CBN News