MANILA, Philippines - The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said it has not received news of any untoward incident arising from the surprise move of North Korea to launch a satellite rocket on Wednesday.
"There was no untoward incident monitored related to the launch and fishermen were not allowed to sail because of a gale warning," said NDRRMC executive director and concurrent of Civil Defense administrator Benito Ramos.
Citing information provided by defense and military attaché to South Korea Col. Eddie Maningding, Ramos said the rocket was launched 8:49 a.m. (Philippine time) and its fuselage fell 300 kilometers east of Luzon island.
He believes no fisherman ventured into sea at that time because of a standing gale warning. Nonetheless, the NDRRMC is still waiting for reports, he said.
"We were surprised by the launch…We were not informed ahead…Our defense and armed forces attache monitored it and informed us of it just now," said Ramos, shortly after the launch.
Asked for their next course of action, he said: "We leave this to the Department of Foreign Affairs. We were not forewarned (of the rocket launch) at least 24 hours before."
The debris from the rocket launch supposedly fell into Philippine waters about 300 kilometers from Luzon's eastern coastline 20 minutes after the 9:49 a.m. launch.
Office of Civil Defense Cagayan Valley region director Norma Talosig said, however, they have no eyewitness account of the debris falling into sea.
"So far, I have not monitored anything. Even in other areas, we asked of their survey, if they monitored debris falling and they said none," she added.