Former gov’t officials claim Corona asking for P50-M retirement pay
MANILA -- Former Chief Justice Renato Corona denied a report claiming he is seeking a P50-million retirement pay.
In a text message, Corona debunked the call of the Former Senior Government Officials (FSGO) group for the Supreme Court to “reinforce its own credibility” by taking a principled stance in the case.
“Not true, absolutely. I don't know of anybody in the government who ever got that kind of retirement pay. Another demolition job obviously,” said Corona, who was ousted in May last year by the Senate impeachment court.
In a press release on Sunday, the FSGO posed the question: “Is Justice Corona really claiming PHP50 million as his retirement pay? How is the amount computed, and where is the source of funding? Does not the Salary Standardization Law (SSL) prescribe a uniform system for determining the compensation and benefits awarded to public officials?”
The group also said the most important question is whether or not Corona deserves a retirement pay.
“He did not retire; he was thrown out of office. He has not been accepted into the Association of Retired Justices,” the statement read.
The FSGO noted an earlier high court decision denying a Davao clerk of court of her retirement benefits for failing to disclose ownership of a stall in the public market.
“A case that will test its commitment to transparency and integrity now awaits its judgment. Impeached and convicted Chief Justice Renato Corona is reportedly claiming his retirement pay. Because the case raises many questions of public concern, the people need to know how individual justices vote on this issue,” the FSGO said.
Corona questioned the the FSGO’s source, however.
“Where did they get that news? It's a malicious lie,” he said.