MANILA, Philippines – President Benigno Aquino III is not suffering from any serious illness and therefore does not need to undergo an executive check-up, Malacañang reiterated on Friday.
Deputy Presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said the President has already been examined by his doctor amid calls by Isabela Representative Rodolfo Albano for the President to undergo an executive medical check-up.
"President Aquino was examined by his personal physician before he left for Cambodia. Nothing serious,” Valte said.
She noted that it is the President’s decision if he would like to have himself checked again.
Aurora Rep. Sonny Angara, meanwhile, said Aquino’s demanding schedule in the country and abroad may have taken a toll on his body.
Angara appealed to officials coordinating Aquino’s schedule to ensure that he is given time to rest.
CIBAC party-list Rep. Sherwin Tugna echoed Angara’s statements, saying the President’s work schedule and the stress that comes with it is “no joke.”
Presidential spokesperson Edwin Lacierda earlier said the President caught the flu last week during his one-day trip to Mindoro and Tagaytay. -- Reports from Willard Cheng, ABS-CBN News; Junry Hidalgo and Jon Ibanez, dzMM