MANILA, Philippines (UPDATE) – The Judicial and Bar Council (JBC) has released the short list for the next justice of the Supreme Court, and alleged Aquino favorite, government peace panel chair Marvic Leonen is included in it.
JBC member Senator Francis Escudero identified those who made it to the shortlist as:
- Court of Appeals (CA) Associate Justice Rosmari Carandang
- CA Associate Justice Jose Reyes Jr.
- CA Associate Justice Noel Tijam
- CA Presiding Justice Andres Reyes
- Government peace panel chair and former University of the Philippines Law Dean Marvic Leonen
- Former Energy Secretary Raphael Lotilla
- De La Salle University Law Dean Jose Manuel Diokno
Carandang, Leonen, Lotilla and Andres Reyes received 7 points each. Jose Reyes and Tijam received 6 points, while Diokno received 5.
The appointee will fill in the post left by Ma. Lourdes Sereno, who became chief justice in August following the removal of Renato Corona via impeachment trial.
Eight of the 15 nominees who did not make it to the short list are:
- CA Associate Justice Ramon Bato Jr.
- CA Associate Justice Magdangal De Leon
- CA Associate Justice Isaias Dicdican
- Sandiganbayan Associate Justice Ma. Cristina Cornejo
- Former trial court judge Adoracion Cruz-Avisado
- University of Perpetual Help System law dean Jose-Santos Bisquera
- Securities and Exchange Commission Chair Teresita Herbosa
- Former Ateneo Law Dean Cesar Villanueva
The JBC earlier said that President Aquino has until November 22 to make an appointment.
Aquino allegedly favors Leonen to fill in the vacant post, but some are saying that Leonen must first finish the peace talks. – with reports from Ina Reformina, ABS-CBN News; and Noel Alamar, dzMM