Palace thumbs down death penalty anew

By Willard Cheng, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Nov 05 2012 03:05 PM | Updated as of Nov 06 2012 02:32 AM

MANILA, Philippines - The Palace maintains that there is no need to restore the death penalty, saying that "certainty of punishment" is the "best deterrent" to all crimes.
“The President always says that it’s certainty of punishment that will be your best deterrent. If we can assure citizens that whoever commits a crime, first, will be caught because of investigation; and, second, will undergo due process under the judicial system; and then that’s half the battle already,” deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said. 

The Volunteers Against Crime and Corruption earlier revived calls to reimpose the death penalty after the murder of University of Santo Tomas alumna Cyrish Magalang in Bacoor, Cavite last week. Police said the victim was stabbed 49 times.

Two men who have confessed their involvement in Magalang’s death are already in police custody. The suspects, who authorities said are brothers, admitted to taking illegal drugs.