PNoy speechwriter in hot water over Twitter posts

By Willard Cheng, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Oct 29 2010 07:40 PM | Updated as of Oct 31 2010 05:30 AM

HANOI, Vietnam (UPDATE) - A Palace speechwriter has been told be more careful of what she posts on the Internet after some of her status updates in the social networking site Twitter stirred controversy.

“We warned her to be more careful with her tweets,” Presidential Communications Development and Strategic Planning Office Secretary Ricky Carandang said of Mai Mislang, a speechwriter of President Aquino.

“We’ve told our people not just Mai but our people in our office, whether they like it or not, they are government employees and that they should be a little bit more circumspect,” he added.

Mislang reportedly tweeted, “The wine sucks” after the state banquet hosted by Vietnam President Nguyen Minh Triet in honor of President Aquino Tuesday during a state visit.

She also tweeted: “Sorry pero walang pogi dito #vietnam.” (Sorry, there are no handsome men here.)

She also posted: “Crossing the speedy motorcycle laden streets of Hanoi is one of the easiest ways to die.”

But the Palace was quick to downplay the incident, saying they have dealt with the issue, and that Mislang had already deleted her tweets on her own.

Carandang also came to Mislang's defense.

“She has been one of the hardest working people in our office. She’s trusted by the President and this is just a minor issue. So I don’t think it’s going to become anything more. As far as we are concerned, tapos na ‘yun. Nawala na ‘yun. She’s being more careful now,” he said.

Carandang said the President has been informed about the incident. “The President knows about it and he knows I have taken the appropriate action.”

The communications secretary said Mislang has been apologetic but added, no public apology is forthcoming. “Absolutely, she was [apologetic],” Carandang said.

“There was no offense meant to anybody. That was something that was spontaneous. We talked about it and we are being more careful now about tweeting.”

Undersecretary Manolo Quezon III later tweeted Mislang's apology, which she originally posted on her Facebook account.

"I apologize for my comments. If I offended anybody, please know that was never the intention. I feel extremely blessed to be in a beautiful country blessed with warm hospitable people," Mislang said, according to Quezon.

Meanwhile, the Twitter account does not appear anymore on the social networking site. There has been no explanation on whether the account has been renamed or deleted. With a report from abs-cbnNEWS.com