PH unfazed by Taiwan Spratlys missile plan

Agence France Presse

Posted at Oct 16 2011 03:51 PM | Updated as of Oct 17 2011 07:09 PM

MANILA, Philippines - The Philippines said Sunday it was prepared to defend its claims in the South China Sea, but downplayed a plan by Taiwan to deploy missiles in the area.

Department of National Defense spokesman Zosimo Jesus Paredes said the country enjoyed good relations with Taiwan and believed its plan to supply missiles to coastguard units in the areas it claims was not a threat to the Philippines.
 
"We cannot dictate on Taiwan on what or what not to do," Paredes told reporters. "For as long as they don't occupy what we already occupy, we have no problem. Live and let live."
 
However, he said Manila was prepared to "defend to the hilt" islets it has already occupied in the Spratlys. He did not elaborate.
 
China claims all of the South China Sea, including the Spratlys, a group of islands and islets believed to sit atop vast oil and mineral reserves.
 
Taiwan, Vietnam, Brunei, the Philippines and Malaysia also lay claim to all or part of the Spratlys.
 
The overlapping claims have been a source of tension in the region, with the United States reiterating a call to all parties last week to peacefully solve the problem following Taiwan's threat.