Aquino takes responsibility for bus siege tragedy


Posted at Sep 03 2010 01:00 PM | Updated as of Sep 03 2010 11:22 PM

MANILA, Philippines - President Benigno "Noynoy" Aquino III on Friday took responsibility for “everything that has transpired” in the hostage crisis last week.
President Aquino said he actually has direct supervision of the Philippine National Police at the time since he had previously asked Department of the Interior and Local Government Secretary Jess Robredo to concentrate on something else.
Aquino explained that when he offered the DILG portfolio to Robredo, Robredo was asked to address concerns such as coming up with a comprehensive plan on delivering social services to and relocating informal settlers in coordination with the local governments. Aquino, who held the DILG in a concurrent capacity when he assumed office, had the direct control of the PNP.
“When I got him, I did tell him, that at this point in time, we’re trying to consolidate especially with our security forces, I will retain direct supervision on the PNP, until such time that he has addressed other concerns, specifically our promises to the informal sectors of our country,” Aquino told reporters. 
Aquino said at the end of the day, he was responsible for everything that happened.

The August 23 hostage crisis saw a dismissed police officer, Rolando Mendoza, take hostage several Hong Kong tourists aboard a bus to demand for his reinstatement to the service. In the end, 9 died including the gunman himself.