MANILA, Philippines - The registration of voters for the upcoming barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan (SK) elections will start on Wednesday.
The registration period for citizens who would like to vote in the barangay elections, which will be held on October 25, will be from August 4 to 13 (Monday to Sunday), from 8 am to 7 pm, the Commission on Elections (Comelec) said.
Registration will be done at the offices of Comelec election officers nationwide.
The following activities will be done during the registration period:
- Registration of new voters
- Reactivation of registration
- Transfer of registration
- Correction of entries or change of name
- Inclusion of registration records
- Reinstatement of name in the List of Voters
According to Comelec Resolution No. 9005, any Filipino citizen may register as a voter for the barangay elections, based on the following qualifications:
- At least 18 years of age
- Has resided in the Philippines for at least 1 year, and has been a resident of the place where he/she intends to vote for at least 6 months immediately prior to the elections
- Not otherwise disqualified by the law
"Any person who, on the day of his application for registration, may not have reached the required age or period of residence but who, on October 25, 2010, shall possess such qualifications, may register as a voter," the resolution read.
The registrant should bring to the Comelec office any of the following documents that will prove his/her identity:
- Current employee’s identification (ID) card, with the signature of the employer or authorized representative;
- Postal ID;
- Student’s ID or library card, signed by the school authority;
- Senior Citizen’s ID;
- Driver’s license;
- NBI/PNP clearance;
- SSS/GSIS ID;
- Licenses issued by the Professional Regulation Commission (PRC); or
- Integrated Bar of the Philippines (IBP) ID
"In the absence of any of the aforementioned identification documents, the applicant may be identified under oath by any registered voter of the precinct, or by any of his relatives within the fourth civil degree of consanguinity or affinity who are registered voters of the same city/municipality," the resolution stated.
The full rules for the registration procedure for the barangay elections can be found here.
Meanwhile, registration for voters in the Sangguniang Kabataan elections, which will also be held on October 25, will be from August 6 to 15, 2010, from 8 am to 7 pm.
Based on Comelec Resolution 9004, those who are eligible to register to be members of the Katipunan ng Kabataan - the official term for voters for the SK - are those who are:
- At least fifteen (15) but below eighteen (18) years of age on October 25, 2010;
- Actually residing in the barangay for at least six (6) months on election day;
- Not otherwise disqualified by law.
Registrants should bring one of the following documents:
- Certificate of Live Birth;
- Baptismal Certificate;
- School records; or
- Any other document that will establish his identity and other qualifications.
In the absence of the above documents, any person may, under oath, identify the applicant.
The full rules for the registration procedure for the SK polls can be found here.
For registrants for the barangay and SK polls, Community Tax Certificate and certification of barangay official shall not be honored.
For more information, you may call the Comelec Education and Information Department (EID):
525-9295; 525-9302; 525-9345; 525-9296
525-9297; 525-9301; 525-9335; or 527-5575.