MANILA (UPDATED) - President Aquino will survive the controversy from the unconstitutional Disbursement Acceleration Program (DAP), a Palace official said Wednesday.
Presidential spokesperson Edwin Lacierda answered in the affirmative when he was asked if the chief executive will survive the heat from the DAP, parts of which were struck down as unconstitutional by the High court last week.
"Yes, no doubt," he said.
The President's spokesman recalled that the same question was asked of him when one of Aquino's earlier policies were also declared as unconstitutional early in his term of office.
"You know, I’m not a political analyst, but only time will tell. There was also the same… Same question was asked from us, I think, when EO (Executive Order) 1 was declared—was it EO 1, EO 2? Truth Commission—EO 1 was declared unconstitutional. That was also the same question that was asked from us," he said. "So, only time will tell, I guess."
Lacierda admitted that the Palace is feeling political heat because of the DAP. "On the need to inform people what are the effects, I suppose... that’s our role that we need to explain to people, to our countrymen what was the purpose for the Disbursement Acceleration Program."
His remarks come after a Social Weather Stations (SWS) survey showed that President Aquino's ratings have slumped to their lowest in 2 years.
Lacierda noted the survey result and said the government will seek to improve its performance.
“We note the survey results, and as always, whether it is good or bad for us, we will always strive to better our performance in ensuring that better services are provided to our countrymen. “
In terms of disaster response, Lacierda said, “Executive Director Alex Pama has come up with a program. He has emphasized on the pre-disaster preparation in order to minimize... disaster casualties.”