MANILA – Makati acting mayor Romulo Peña on Saturday said he will look into a newspaper report which said the missing aide of Vice President Jejomar Binay continues to receive salary despite her absence.
The Philippine Daily Inquirer earlier reported that Eduviges ''Ebeng'' Baloloy continues to receive salary despite disappearing last year.
The report added that Baloloy had retired from work and received a check covering her retirement benefits last Monday, June 29, two days before suspended Makati Mayor Junjun Binay stepped down and left the city hall on July 1.
Speaking to dzMM, Peña said he will personally investigate the matter.
''I have given a directive to all department heads [to look into the matter]. But come Monday, I will go to the concerned offices myself to carefully check the records of Mrs. Baloloy,'' Peña said.
Binay's spokesperson Joey Salgado was quoted in the news report as saying that the money Baloloy received at the time she was missing could be her leave credits. He also confirmed that Baloloy had applied for early retirement.
Baloloy is Binay's long-time aide. She held the post of executive assistant in the Makati City government. She had a monthly salary of around P22,000 in 2006 which rose to nearly P60,000 in 2013.
The Anti-Money Laundering Council (AMLC) found Baloloy held bank accounts with Gerardo Limlingan, who has been described by former Makati Vice Mayor Ernesto Mercado as the vice-president's alleged bagman.
Mercado claimed in previous Senate hearings that Limlingan often accepted Binay's "kickbacks" from allegedly overpriced Makati projects.
Senator Antonio Trillanes IV earlier said Baloloy and Limlingan already fled the country. But records of the Bureau of Immigration (BI) said the two are still in the country.
Binay's camp has denied knowing the whereabouts of the two, who were earlier ordered arrested by the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee after they failed to appear in the hearings of its subpanel investigating the corruption allegations against the vice-president.
Peña, meanwhile, said he will also conduct an inventory of the city's employees to make sure that the local government does not maintain so-called "ghost employees."
He assured that he will not remove casual employees of the city government, provided that they do their work properly.