San Beda student athlete positive for A(H1N1)
The San Beda College in Manila has suspended its classes for more than a week after a student tested positive for influenza A(H1N1) virus, a radio report said Saturday.
Radio dzMM reported that classes at the San Beda College, which is only a few meters away from Malacañang, was suspended on Friday. Students had been advised to return on June 28.
The report said the infected San Beda student is a male athlete and was staying in one of the campus' dormitories.
In a directive, San Beda president Father Mateo de Jesus asked professors to keep in touch with their students and continue lessons through the Internet while classes are suspended.
San Beda became the 20th school in the Philippines with students infected with the new influenza virus.
The other schools are the De La Salle University and its sister school St. Benilde College, both in Taft Avenue, Manila; FEU-East Asia in Manila; St. Andrew High School in Parañaque, Ateneo High School in Quezon City; Hilera Elementary School in Barangay Hilera in Jaen, Nueva Ecija; Candelaria Meneses Duque High School in Barangay Bambang in Bulacan, Bulacan; Our Lady of Perpetual Succor College in Marikina City; Lagro Elementary School in Quezon City; Mapua Institute of Makati City; Philippines Science High School in Palo, Leyte and Miriam College in Quezon City; Don Alejandro Roces Sr. Science and Technology High School in Quezon City; St. Paul’s College in Pasig City; Lourdes School in Mandaluyong City; University of the Philippines-Diliman, Dominican College in San Juan; San Beda College in Mendiola and Sta. Rosa Elementary School in Laguna.
The Department of Health (DOH) has not issued an update on A(H1N1) as of 3 p.m. Saturday.
DOH Secretary Francisco Duque III on Friday afternoon reported that the country's A(H1N1) cases remains at 344. He said 262 of these cases have fully recovered.
“All of these 344 confirmed cases were mild in nature, both those who are currently under treatment and those who have been sent home,” Duque said.
As Duque continued to downplay Filipinos' fears, he said people should not be "too complacent." He said the government continues to monitor changes in the virus' trends and patterns.
The health secretary said majority of the infected patients are residents of Metro Manila with 234 cases or 68 percent of the total number of cases, followed by Central Luzon with 45 (13 percent), and Calabarzon (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal, Quezon) with 31 cases or 9 percent.
Of the 234 cases in Metro Manila, 81 came from Quezon City, 44 from Manila, 21 from Parañaque City and 15 from Makati City.
Duque added that 305 of the confirmed cases are Filipinos.
“The rest are Japanese (6), American (4), Australia (1), China (1), India (1), Iran (1), Korea (1) and Sweden (1). The remaining 22 did not specify their nationality,” he said. He added that 101 cases had travelled in the United States, Japan and China.