MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) - The Judicial and Bar Council (JBC) has extended to July 2 the nominations and applications for the chief justice position, a source said.
The deadline extension is due to "public request."
JBC member, Senator Francis Escudero, later told reporters that the publication of the names of the nominees will be on July 7.
The shortlist, on the other hand, will be submitted to President Benigno Aquino III by July 30.
The body that chooses names for the Supreme Court has already received at 32 names so far for the post. The vacancy was created by the ouster of former Chief Justice Renato Corona.
Earlier, former Energy Secretary Raphael P.M. Lotilla declined his nomination.
In an email to reporters, Lotilla thanked those who nominated him, but said seniority is still the way to go to “[mute] political ambitions and [insulate] to some degree the office of Chief Justice from the patronato system.” - with a report from Alex Calda, dzMM