Pacquiao back from US, thanks supporters
MANILA, Philippines (UPDATE) - Congressman Manny Pacquiao arrived from the US on Saturday and urged his countrymen to forget his controversial split decision loss to undefeated American Timothy Bradley.
In an interview with radio dzMM, Pacquiao said he believes he didn't really lose his World Boxing Organization (WBO) welterweight title, adding that most people also believe in their hearts that he won the fight last week.
"Kalimutan na natin ang nangyari...tanggapin natin nang buong puso," said the 8-division world boxing champion. "God is good all the time."
Pacquiao thanked the Filipino people for supporting him despite the loss.
"Salamat sa mga kababayan sa suporta...Masaya ako nakabalik ako," he said.
Pacquiao said he will be going to his home province of Sarangani on Sunday to assist flood victims in his district.
“Nag-decide ako na umuwi muna sa probinsiya ko para kamustahin 'yung mga kababayan ko doon na naapektuhan ng baha at kailangan nila 'yung tulong ko,” he said.
He will be there for five days before flying back to be with his family in Los Angeles.
“Balikan ko na lang pamilya ko at mga anak ko sa LA pag natapos na problema doon sa Sarangani,” he said.
Although he won't be able to celebrate Father's Day with his family, Pacquiao said he already received a greeting from them even before he left for the Philippines.
“Bago naman ako umalis nagbigay sila sa akin ng mga message, card, 'yung apat na anak ko, syempre 'yung asawa ko,” he said.
Pacquiao said he does not know yet when they will be going to Israel for a family vacation.
Bradley won a split decision at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on Saturday (Sunday in Manila) that prompted the crowd to break out in a chorus of boos after watching 12 rounds that the Filipino had appeared to dominate.
Two judges scored the fight 115-113 in favor of the unbeaten Bradley. The other judge ruled in favor of Pacquiao 115-113.
An outraged Bob Arum, who promotes both fighters, lambasted the judges in a post-fight news conference and has since asked the Nevada attorney general to investigate the outcome.
The WBO's championship committee will meet "with five recognized international judges to evaluate the video of the match and agree to what emerges," WBO president Francisco "Paco" Valcarcel said last Wednesday.
"The championship committee will make its recommendation according to the rules," he said.
While the decision created a major uproar from many of those in attendance, Valcarcel said the WBO is not questioning the ability of the judges.
"I want to clarify that in no way this says that we are doubting the capacity of these judges, which we consider as honest and competent judges," he said. -- Reports from dzMM; Bettina Magsaysay, ABS-CBN News; and Reuters