Drilon saddened by pork barrel scam
MANILA - A day after the Senate adjourned their session, Senate President Franklin Drilon lamented on the troublesome chapter that the legislative body has been going through since the pork barrel scam was revealed last year.
Drilon was guest of honor during the celebration of Independence Day at Pinaglabanan Shrine in San Juan Thursday. The event was lead by Mayor Guia Gomez, Vice-Mayor Francis Zamora and Senator JV Ejercito, a former mayor of the city.
In his speech, Drilon said he felt sad when the pork barrel system was stopped because it meant that legislators can no longer help the people with funding.
However, he said the Supreme Court decision did not deter them from working on the government's budget where the funding to help the people was appropriated through the line agencies.
The Senate President also said he is saddened that some of the senators are taking a leave after being linked to the controversy.
"Pero pinapakita lang naman nito na kami sa Senado ay handang dumaan sa proseso," he said.
He also reminded the public that no person is guilty unless proven otherwise.
Ejercito, meanwhile, admitted he has not talked to his half-brother, Senator Jinggoy Estrada.