MANILA - Malacañang on Friday maintained that President Benigno Aquino III did not make any marginal notes for instructions on the letter sent by Janet Lim Napoles last year.
"As to the handwritten note, I will check kasi parang nung kausap ko si Pangulo kahapon may nabanggit siya something about marginal notes na parang wala naman daw or something to that effect... Kasi 'yung nakita ko rin na version na 'yung copy nung letter, wala rin akong napansing sulat ni Pangulo," deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said.
Later on in a text message, she said, "There were no handwritten notes on the margins of the document, same as the copy given to the MPC yesterday."
Aquino showed media the letter yesterday in a public response to Senator Jinggoy Estrada's inquiry into the status of the letter.
Valte dispelled notions that the matters raised in the letter were not investigated.
"Tingin ko maling conclusion iyong sinabing bakit hindi iniimbestigahan. Kasi siyempre it's in the experience of the investigators handling it kung ano 'yung titingnan nila. For all we know, natingnan na 'yan, tapos meron na silang conclusion na hindi palang natin alam. So Secretary (Leila) de Lima will be in a better position to give you some more details on that," she said.
The President on Thursday turned the tables on Estrada and his family, noting that the name of a retired general was mentioned in the letter.
The general, identified as Rodolfo Diaz, was the head of the Presidential Security Group (PSG) during the term of Estrada's father, former President and now Manila Mayor Joseph "Erap" Estrada.
"'Yung sa fourth paragraph, baka dapat tanungin natin si Senator Jinggoy, ano. Kasi ang nakalagay dito 'yung fourth paragraph and I'll just quote from the letter: 'Thereafter, Atty. Levito Baligod, lawyer of the Luy family, together with the retired General Rodolfo Diaz demanded the amount of 38-million pesos from through our lawyer, Atty. Freddie Villamor, in exchange for the dropping of said false charges and bad media publicity.'"