Janet coping with heat, lack of water at Fort Sto. Domingo


Posted at Jun 01 2014 10:56 AM | Updated as of Jun 01 2014 06:56 PM

MANILA - After spending two months in a hospital, businesswoman Janet Lim-Napoles is adjusting to her environment in detention at Fort Sto. Domingo in Sta. Rosa, Laguna.

The businesswoman has to deal with the heat and lack of water at the police camp, but “she is OK...she is dealing with it,” her lawyer Bruce Rivera said in a text message to The STAR.

Rivera, who visited the police camp on Friday, said he is not aware if Napoles had another incident of bleeding.

Napoles was brought back to detention at Fort Sto. Domingo from the Ospital ng Makati (Osmak) Thursday night. She had been in the hospital since March 31.

Wearing a blue hoodie and a bulletproof vest, Napoles left the hospital in a wheelchair at 9:37 p.m. and was whisked by her police escorts into a gray van, which was followed by a convoy of police vehicles from Police Regional Office 4-A.

The Makati City Regional Trial Court Branch 150 ordered Napoles’ return to Fort Sto. Domingo on Thursday.

In a four-page order, Judge Elmo Alameda said Napoles has no more reason to challenge its earlier order returning her to the police camp.

“Her zeal to avail of continued health care in the hospital even after discharge should not exceed the bounds of the law, for she remains to be an accused for an unbailable offense,” the order stated.

Alameda also ordered Police Chief Inspector Magnolia Ruth Priscilla Bermudez, a medical officer assigned to Police Regional Office 4-A, to carry out post-operative care on Napoles, as recommended by her doctors.

Osmak gynecologist Florentina Villanueva testified that Napoles has been responding well to medication, particularly tranexamic acid, and that her bleeding had stopped last May 22. Tranexamic acid is used to stop heavy bleeding.

The court had deferred the return of Napoles to Fort Sto. Domingo on May 23 after one of her doctors testified that she suffered from “significant” bleeding.