MANILA - Senator Miriam Defensor Santiago believes Senator Juan Ponce Enrile and former Senator Panfilo "Ping" Lacson are "sowing clouds of confusion" by releasing lists of alleged pork barrel scam beneficiaries.
Speaking to radio dzMM on Wednesday, Santiago insinuated that Enrile, her political nemesis, is the brains behind the two Janet Lim Napoles lists given to Lacson and to Whistleblowers Association of the Philippines President Sandra Cam.
"O, di malito ng husto, makalimutan ngayon ang motion for reconsideration ng tatlong senador headed by Enrile," Santiago said.
Enrile, Jinggoy Estrada, and Ramon "Bong" Revilla Jr. have filed motions for reconsideration before the Office of the Ombudsman after they were indicted for plunder over the multibillion-peso pork barrel scam.
Santiago said there is a "conspiracy" to release the lists to shift the public's attention away from the issuance of arrest warrants by the Sandiganbayan once the three senators' motions for reconsideration are denied.
The list allegedly handed to Lacson by Napoles' husband Jimmy contains the names of 11 senators and 69 congressmen, both incumbent and former, and other individuals allegedly involved in the pork barrel scheme.
Enrile, Estrada and Revilla are also on the list.
According to Santiago, including in the list other names without sufficient evidence is a "classic case of muddying the water."
"Kung huli ka na, you seek protective coloration. Halimbawa, lahat nakasuot ng puti, ikaw lang nakasuot ng itim dahil kumbisido ang tao na ikaw ang kontrabida at nagnakaw ka. So ang gagawin mo mag-protective coloration ka. Kulayan mo rin sila lahat ng itim
para hindi malaman kung sino ang may sala o wala," she said.
LACSON BEHIND LUY LIST?
Santiago, meanwhile, alleged that Lacson is behind the supposed Benhur Luy list which contains 25 past and present senators, including her. The list was released by the Philippine Daily Inquirer on Wednesday (May 14).
Santiago noted that Lacson had already mentioned earlier her inclusion in the Luy list even before the list was published in the newspaper.
"Maaring si Pinky Lacson dahil sabi niya 'Wala si Santiago sa listahan ko pero antayin niyang makita niya ang listahan ni Benhur Luy, nandun siya.' Paano niya nalaman eh kanina lang nalagay sa dyaryo ang Luy list? O, eh di ibig sabihin si Lacson noon pa alam niya na ang listahan," she said.
She also pointed out that even Luy's lawyer, Raji Mendoza, had refused to confirm the integrity of the data. Mendoza also said Luy never authorized anyone to copy his data.
"So kanino galing yun?" she said.
She criticized Lacson for frequently granting media interviews in connection with the pork barrel scam when he should be in Yolanda-hit Visayas doing his job as Presidential Assistant for Rehabilitation and Reconstruction (PARR).
"Bakit siya nakikipapel dito sa Metro Manila? Panay ang press release niya at labas niya sa TV, hinahabol niya talaga ang media coverage. Hindi ba ang trabaho niya dun sa Leyte at Samar? Bakit andito siya araw-araw?"
According to Santiago, her inclusion in the Luy list only shows that she is a victim of identity theft.
"Ninakaw ang aking pangalan at ang aking identity. Nabukulan ako. May kumita ng pera pero pangalan ko ang ginamit... Somebody is trying to exploit that fact to make the people believe that what is false is true," she said.
She said she never allocated any of her Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF) to any non-government organization (NGO).
She said her pork barrel funds always went to local government units (LGUs).
"Never... Why would I give government money to a non-government organization? That was my philosophy."
"Kaya kung sinuman nagsasabi na may binigay akong pera sa NGO ay nagsisinungaling, plain and simple," she said.