MANILA - Former Senator Francis Pangilinan may now be Presidential Assistant on Food Security and Modernization, but Agriculture Secretary Proceso Alcala retains control over many agencies also involved in food security.
The DA has at least 30 attached agencies and corporations, of which only 4 were transferred to Pangilinan under the Office of the President: the National Food Authority, the National Irrigation Administration, the Fertilizer and Pesticide Authority and the Philippine Coconut Authority.
That leaves about 26 others under Alcala, including agencies handling fisheries, animal and livestock, sugar and corn:
1. Agricultural Training Institute
2. Bureau of Animal Industry
3. Bureau of Plant Industry
4. Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources
5. Bureau of Agriculture and Fisheries Products Standards
6. Bureau of Agricultural Research
7. Bureau of Agricultural Statistics
8. Bureau of Soils and Water Management
9. Cotton Development Administration (CODA)
10. Fiber Industry Development Authority (FIDA)
11. Livestock Development Council (LDC)
12. National Agribusiness Corporation (NABCOR)
13. National Agricultural and Fishery Council (NAFC)
14. National Dairy Authority (NDA)
15. National Fisheries Research and Development Institute (NFRDI)
16. National Meat Inspection Service (NMIS)
17. National Tobacco Administration (NTA)
18. Philippine Agricultural Development and Commercial Corporation (PADCC)
19. Philippine Carabao Center (PCC)
20. Philippine Crop Insurance Corporation (PCIC)
21. Philippine Center for Postharvest Development and Mechanization (PhilMech)
22. Philippine Fisheries Development Authority (PFDA)
23. Philippine Rice Research Institute (Philrice)
24. Quedan Rural Credit and Guarantee Corporation (QUEDANCOR)
25. Southeast Asian Fisheries Development Center (SEAFDEC)
26. Sugar Regulatory Administration (SRA)
Communications Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. noted Pangilinan "himself pointed out in his interaction with [the reporters] yesterday that he is working with Sec. Alcala in addressing the totality of vital concerns in agriculture. The title provides an adequate description of the sectors for which he is mandated to provide specific advise and assistance to the President.”
The appointment of Pangilinan comes on the heels of allegations against Alcala, including his supposed role in the pork barrel scam.
The Aquino administration also missed its rice self-sufficiency target last year. In his last State of the Nation Address, Aquino also took note of the corruption in NIA.