MANILA - The Department of Health (DOH) has yet to release results of additional tests conducted on an overseas Filipino worker (OFW) who was found positive for the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome-Coronavirus (MERS-CoV), after he arrived in Manila on Tuesday from the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
Health Secretary Enrique Ona on Friday said there is no official report yet from the department on the latest status of the OFW, as well as 4 members of his family from the UAE who have been quarantined and 5 people who fetched him at the airport.
Ona said the DOH is still waiting for the results of the tests conducted on the 10 people.
The Philippine News Agency earlier reported that the OFW as well as the other passengers of the flight from UAE were "cleared of the virus."
The state news agency quoted the DOH.
However, PNA later pulled out the story without an explanation.
Ona previously told ABS-CBN News that even though the 10 people have not shown symptoms of MERS-CoV, they have been placed under isolation to prevent the possible spread of the virus.
He said that the OFW, a nurse, tested positive for MERS-CoV after he was exposed to the Filipino paramedic who died from the disease in Al Ain.
"When we say exposed, may contact siya. We are not even sure kung kaibigan niya yung namatay, mga kasama niya," he said.
“Since they are symptom-less, we are just doing some preventive measures. We will give them medicines once they exhibit symptoms,” he added.
The incubation period of the virus is 10 to 14 days.
At the moment, there is no vaccine against MERS-CoV, Ona said.