MANILA -- After last year's Million People March, netizens are looking to pressure senators Juan Ponce Enrile, Jinggoy Estrada and Bong Revilla to resign.
In a petition on Change.org, the Scrap Pork Network, whose members were among those who helped organize the August 26, 2013 protest, said: “Let’s pressure them to step down from their positions! In other countries, just a hint of scandal is enough for public officials to resign. And if Senators Estrada, Revilla and Enrile refuse to step down, let’s challenge the Senate to expel them.”
The petition can be accessed here.
The Scrap Pork Network said the spirit of the Million People March should remain alive.
Triggered by the worst corruption case in the country, calls were made on social media back in August for a massive protest across the country. Hundreds of thousands appeared in Luneta and cities nationwide and overseas calling for the abolition of the pork barrel.
It was only last week, or more than seven months after the Million People March, that the Office of the Ombudsman announced the filing of graft and plunder raps against the three senators for supposedly receiving around P600 million in kickbacks.
“We all know that this is a small portion of the sum total that is stolen from taxpayer’s money every year. The evidence of corruption against these three senators came out last year, but until now nothing has happened,” the petition read.
Less than 24 hours after it was posted, the petition has already generated more than 1,200 signatures.
Change.org Philippines campaigns director Inday Espina-Varona said, nonetheless, that the petition platform has not yet optimized petition reach.
“It’s a Sunday, so after petitioners did some post-midnight social media seeding, Change.org Philippines sent it to a portion of signers of petitions against pork and corruption,” she said.
The Million People March has also launched a petition back in August on Change.org, which generated more than 100,000 online and on-ground signatures.