Capa admits rift with PNP chief

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Mar 18 2014 10:34 AM | Updated as of Mar 18 2014 06:34 PM

MANILA - The former chief of Task Force Tugis confirmed Tuesday that he is disappointed with his superior, Philippine National Police chief Director General Alan Purisima, after the latter ordered his transfer to Cebu.

"Opo (masama ang loob ko). Sabitan mo ako ng polygraph ngayon, malalaman mo ang totoo," Senior Superintendent Conrad Capa said in an interview with Punto por Punto host Anthony Taberna.

Capa said Purisima has yet to congratulate him for the arrest of businessman Delfin Lee by elements of Task Force Tugis last March 6.

"Hindi po ako binati. Hindi ako pwedeng magsinungaling. [Si Secretary Mar Roxas] binati ako pero si Chief PNP hinde. Pakitanong na lang po sa kanya. Hindi ko masasagot<" he said.

He also said that he used to be very close to Purisima since the latter was his director in the PNP Regional Office 3 and the National Capital Region.

"General Purisima has been my director in Region 3 and NCR. I can claim we are very close. Nung nasa NCR kami, we had fun together. Araw araw kumakain ako ng almusal sa kanya. Nag-uusap kami kasi ako yung kanyang intelligence officer. Through the years and through the months, hindi ko alam nangyari bakit ganun," he said.

Capa's transfer as PNP Deputy Regional Director for Operations has been marked with controversy since it was announced less than a week after Lee's arrest.

Some quarters have noted that Capa's transfer sets a bad precedent amid claims by Vice-President Jejomar Binay that "influential persons" tried to set Lee free.

Lee is accused of using ghost borrowers and fake documents to obtain P6.65 billion in loans from Pag-IBIG Fund in 2009. He was arrested by the Philippine National Police-Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (PNP-CIDG) in a hotel in Manila on March 6.

In the interview, Capa denied that he leaked information that influential people tried to have Lee released right after his arrest.

He said Lee's arrest was aboveboard since he had already checked with the Pampanga regional trial court if the warrant was still active. This is despite protests from Lee's camp that the warrant had already been quashed by the Court of Appeals.

"Tama yung paghuli. Kung siya ay nakalaya huhulihin ko ulit siya. At the outset, alam ko yung ginagawa ko nun e. Alam ko na buhay pa yung warrant niya and I was proven right by the Supreme Court kaya malakas ang loob ko nun," he said.

Capa also denied that his transfer to Cebu is a promotion, saying that he would have to wait longer for a promotion to a higher rank inside the national police force. Capa is set to retire in 2016.

"It is not a demotion. I still maintain my rank but for the next few months, I will not be promoted," he said.

He denied that his transfer is "punishment" for Lee's arrest but said he does not know what to call his transfer.

Capa said he believes that time will heal the rift between him and Purisima.

"Siyempre OK naman ako. Ang oras ginagamot ang lahat. In time, wala na rin ito," he said.

He also said that Purisima should be commended for forming Task Force Tugis, which is mandated to hunt the top 5 fugitives in the Philippines.

"Kung hindi niya itinatag ang Task Force Tugis, baka hindi mahuli kahit isa lang sa mga yan. Noong araw, nung nagkasabay sabay yung labas ng warrant nung top 5, pinamahagi yan sa mga region sa mga special unit e hindi naman epektibo. So nung nakaupo siya, sabi niya tayo tayo ng Task Force para dun sa top 5 so i-credit natin sa kanya," he said.