MANILA -- Local government units (LGUs) for the third straight year have topped the list of government offices with most number of cases filed against one of their officers or employees, the Office of the Ombudsman said Wednesday.
A total of 2,014 cases were filed against local government officials in 2013, the Ombudsman's Finance and Management Information Office (FMIO) said in a report.
The number is lower than the number of cases filed since 2011.
In 2011, a total of 3,852 cases were filed against local government officials, while 2,669 cases were filed in 2012.
The Philippine National Police (PNP) and the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), ranked second and third, respectively, on the Ombudsman's list.
In 2013, the office received a total of 1,312 cases filed against members of the PNP, while 246 cases were filed against members of the AFP.
The Ombudsman received 1,415 cases against PNP, and 332 cases against AFP in 2012.
Below is the list of the top 10 government agencies with the corresponding number of cases filed in 2013 against their respective officers and employees.
1. Local government units - 2,104
2. Philippine National Police - 1,312
3. Armed Forces of the Philippines - 246
4. Department of Environment and Natural Resources - 156
5. Department of Education - 117
6. Department of Agriculture, Department of Agrarian Reform, and Bureau of Fire Protection - 108
7. Bureau of Customs - 76
8. Department of Finance - 74
9. State Universities and Colleges - 56
10. Bureau of Jail Management and Penology - 53