Bongbong admits bias on martial law: Let historians speak

Ron Gagalac, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Feb 18 2016 10:37 PM

MANILA - Vice presidential aspirant Sen. Bongbong Marcos again refused to apologize to victims of human rights violations and other atrocities during his father's administration, saying it would be better if historians will be the one to tell people what really happened during the Martial Law period.

"Let historians tell us. You are asking his son. Whatever I'll say is biased. Hayaan natin ang mga propesor na magsabi," Marcos said.

READ: Bongbong: 'Closure' not within my power

Liberal Party vice presidential bet, Camarines Sur Rep. Leni Robredo, earlier said that Marcos should apologize for the atrocities committed by the Marcos leadership so that the country can finally move on.

Robredo was quoted in reports as saying that the younger Marcos' continued refusal to apologize is "worrisome" considering he is running for vice-president.

Marcos said each and every administration has its own mistakes and he is in no position to say sorry for his father.

Life under Marcos: A fact-check

"In any administration, there had been mistakes. May mga hindi inaasahang pangyayari," he said.

Marcos, however, said if he had done something wrong, he will apologize.

"My position has been very clear: I will apologize for any wrongdoing I have done," he said.

Presidential spokesman Edwin Lacierda yesterday said Marcos' potential ascent to power raises the specter of dictatorship.

Lacierda said Marcos' inability to apologize on behalf of his father speaks volumes of his nature.

Marcos, in response to Lacierda, said, "That's the party line of the Palace, the party line of the President. But I'm happy that ordinary people do not see that".