BACOLOD - Presidential candidate Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte on Wednesday met with Bacolod Bishop Vicente Navarra to ask for forgiveness for seemingly cursing Pope Francis during a speech late last year.
During their meeting, Duterte explained that he did not curse the Pope. He earlier said he only cursed at the way the government handled the security preparations for the Catholic leader's visit in January last year that led to massive traffic jams in the metro.
Navarra admitted that he was taken aback by Duterte's earlier statements, but said the issue has long died down.
Navarra accepted Duterte's apology and they shook hands.
READ: Duterte: It was never my intention to disrespect Pope Francis
Duterte also met with local leaders and representatives from various sectors at the SMX Convention Center. He was warmly welcomed, with some of his supporters chanting his name.
Meanwhile, the mayor said he does not have any idea regarding reports circulating that there is a threat to his life.
Duterte said he has been receiving threats for so long a time.
He went on to cite Ecclesiastes 3, which says that there is a time for everything. If it's already his time, then it's his time, he said.
Reports have been circulating in Bacolod that there are hitmen in the city purposely for Duterte.
Bacolod police said they have received the reports but they are still checking on the veracity of the information.
Police assured Duterte's security during his visit in the city.