MANILA (UPDATE) - Lauro Vizconde, the man who lost his entire family in what later came to be known as the Vizconde massacre in 1991, has died.
Vizconde, 77, died at 5:15 p.m. today at the intensive care unit (ICU) of the Unihealth-Parañaque Hospital, where he had been confined since Friday, according to his relative Jonah Vizconde de Luna
Vizconde was rushed to the hospital following his fourth heart attack.
"Pagkatapos ng 25 taon na pakikipaglaban para sa hustisya para sa kanyang pamilya, kapiling na po ni Ka Lauro ang kanyang asawa na si Estrelita at mga anak na sila Carmela & Jennifer," said Vizconde's nephew, Rodel, in a statement.
"Nais po naming hingin ang inyong taimtim na dasal para sa kanyang kaluluwa. Inilaan po ni Tito Oro ang kanyang buhay para sa kanyang pamilya at sa ibang biktima ng heinous crimes. Sa panahong ito ay binibigyang karangalan namin ang kanyang dedikasyon at pagmamahal para sa kanila hanggang sa kanyang huling sandali."
Rodel said the wake will be at the Heritage Park.
In June 1991, Vizconde, who was then overseas, lost his wife Estrelita and daughters Carmela and Jennifer. The Vizcondes were stabbed to death in their home in Parañaque. His daughter Carmela was also raped.
Several men, including former Senator Freddie Webb's son, Hubert, were charged for the crime. They were eventually convicted by the trial court in 2000.
The Supreme Court, however, overturned the decision in 2010 and acquitted all of the accused.
READ: SC: Ruling on Hubert Webb et al final
Vizconde was the chairman emeritus of the Volunteers Against Crime and Corruption (VACC), a group he co-founded with Dante Jimenez in 1998. - with a report from Zandro Ochona, ABS-CBN News