Bongbong sees enough evidence vs Bangayan

By Atom Araullo, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Feb 04 2014 05:37 PM | Updated as of Feb 05 2014 01:37 AM

MANILA - Sen. Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr. on Tuesday said there is enough evidence to file charges of rice smuggling against businessman Davidson Bangayan.

"If you ask me, I think may basis na para kasuhan si David Tan, kitang kita naman kung ano ang nangyayari. Marami na kaming natanggap na ebidensiya. Charges should be filed not only against Tan but also against the others involved," Marcos said.

Marcos made the comments in an ambush interview after the joint hearing of the committees on Public Works and Finance that tackled to need to accelerate the irrigation program of the government.

The senator said only 1.7 million hectares of land have so far been irrigated out of a target of 3.1 million hectares. Many areas are also in need of repair after suffering damage from natural calamities.

"Kung di sapat ang patubig, di maaabot ang target nating rice self-sufficiency," Marcos said.

He added: "Dapat maging sufficient tayo para hindi narin maging problema yang smuggling ng bigas."

The National Irrigation Authority has a 25-year target to cover 90 percent of irrigable land in the country.

Marcos said this pace may be too slow, and has asked the NIA what they need to hit their goals within 6 years.