MANILA - A Palace spokesman on Monday said there is no basis to retired Lingayen-Dagupan Archbishop Oscar Cruz's statement that former President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo is the favorite scapegoat of the Aquino administration for all of the country's woes.
In a statement, Communications Secretary Herminio Coloma noted that the plunder charges filed against Mrs. Arroyo are based on evidence.
"Walang batayan ang paratang. Walang personal na usapin, batay sa ebidensya ang paghahain ng kaso," he said.
He added: "Nasa pagpasya ng hukuman ang hinggil sa panukalang hospital arrest."
Cruz visited Mrs. Arroyo at the Veterans Memorial Medical Center (VMMC) on Saturday where she is detained for plunder and electoral sabotage cases.
He said he personally went to see Arroyo to reconcile and to seek the former President’s understanding about his critical stand during her administration.
Cruz noted that Arroyo looked well despite losing some weight during his visit at the hospital.
"Tingin ko po ay okay siya. She lost some weight but she was very.... she moved rather than steadily. So okay po siya, overall she was ok she was in brace at meron pa kaming picture taking," he said.
Last December 14, Jesus Is Lord Movement (JIL) head Eddie Villanueva and JIL's Leo Alconga also visited Arroyo.
Both Cruz and Villanueva were critics of Arroyo during her presidency.
Last month, former President Joseph Estrada also made a historic visit to Arroyo at the same place where she visited him when he was detained there years ago during her term.
Another former president, Fidel Ramos, also visited Arroyo in November last year.