It's more fun in PH, but...

by Willard Cheng, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jan 06 2012 03:37 PM | Updated as of Jan 07 2012 02:38 AM

Palace vows to address security concerns to help tourism campaign

MANILA, Philippines - With the launch of the new tourism campaign of the Philippines, the Palace assured tourists that the government will address security concerns and maintain peace and order.

Asked about the kidnapping of an Australian national,  Presidential spokesperson Edwin Lacierda said:
 
“We are concerned with [the] peace and order situation but you cannot stop us from promoting the Philippines as a tourism site… Having said that, it is also incumbent upon us to make sure that their safety is always guaranteed. We would have to promote tourism, and at the same time, we will make sure we will maintain peace and order and try to minimize these incidents (of kidnapping)."
 
Lacierda is confident that the government will be able to reach its target of attracting 10 million tourists at the end of Aquino’s term.
 
Asked why the government did not reuse the slogan “WoW Philippines” instead, Lacierda said:  “According to (former DOT Sec. Alberto) Lim at that time, it was only used here in the Philippines. That’s what he said, hindi nagagamit sa abroad. And also the tourism has already improved even during the time of Secretary Lim. And now, si Secretary Jimenez—in fact last year, tumaas ang [bilang] ng tourists natin. Because of our campaign in PPUR (Puerto Princesa Underground River), we’re expecting higher tourists this year.”
 
Meantime, Lacierda said the shooting of “Bourne Legacy” here will help boost tourism, the film industry, and help create employment.