MANILA, Philippines - A total of 929 people have been reported injured and one was killed due to firecrackers and stray bullets, the Department of Health (DOH) said Tuesday.
Dr. Eric Tayag, DOH spokesperson, said the figure was recorded from December 21, 2010 to January 3, 2011. He said it was lower compared to the 1,035 recorded in the same period last year.
Tayag said that 882 of the cases are fireworks-related, 36 are stray bullets and 11 fireworks ingestion.
Tayag said the highest number of injuries was recorded in Metro Manila with 479 cases, the highest number of cases recorded in the metropolis in several years.
He said other parts of the country registered lower incidents of firecracker injuries because many areas experienced rains on New Year's Eve.
In Metro Manila, Manila has the highest number of injuries followed by Quezon City.
Tayag, meanwhile, appealed to those who were injured but refused to go to hospitals to have their injuries checked by doctors to avoid infection and tetanus.
He said most adults are ashamed of going to hospitals for the treatment of firecracker injuries.
"Ang mga adult ang nahihiyang magpatingin ng naputukan nilang sugat pero delikado kapag di nagpa anti-tetanus vaccine," Tayag said.
The DOH official also announced that the agency has lifted the nationwide code white alert among government-owned hospitals.
All public hospitals and personnel were ordered to go on a 24-hour duty during the New Year revelry in anticipation of more cases of firecracker-related injuries.