|The winning team from St. Jude Catholic School and their coach pose for a photo. Photo courtesy of MTG
MANILA, Philippines -- Students from St. Jude Catholic School in Manila won the top prize in this year's Math Trail and Problem Solving Competition finals held recently at SM City North EDSA in Quezon City.
The team, composed of Adrian Reginald Sy, Ma. Czarina Angela Lao, Mikaela Angelina Uy and Audrey Celine Lao, bested 17 schools in the competition, according to Dr. Simon Chua, contest chief organizer and president of the Mathematics Trainers Guild (MTG)-Philippines.
They received P12,000 and gold medals.
Coming in second place were the students from Makati Science High School, who won P10,000 and silver medals. They were followed by teams from the Philippine Science High School, Grace Christian College, and the Philippine Institute of Quezon City.
The annual contest was organized by MTG, SM City North EDSA and Sharp calculators.
Other finalists in the contest include:
- Ateneo de Manila University
- Hope Christian High School
- Philippine Cultural College-Caloocan
- Valenzuela City Science High School
- Taguig Science High School
- De La Salle Zobel School in Muntinlupa
- Sen. Renato "Compañero" Cayetano Memorial Science and Technological High School
- Sto. Niño de Eucharistia Academy
- Ann Arbor Montessori Learning Center
- Westfield Science-Oriented School and College
- Las Piñas East National High School
- Elizabeth Seton School
- Holy Rosary Academy of Las Piñas