|Filipino students show their medals and plaques at the awarding ceremony of the Asia Inter-Cities Teenagers Mathematics Olympiad in Nepal. Photo courtesy of NTG
MANILA, Philippines - A group of young Filipino numbers aces made the country proud when they placed second in the recently concluded Asia Inter-Cities Teenagers Mathematics Olympiad (AITMO) in Kavre, Nepal.
Dr. Simon Chua, president of the Mathematics Trainers Guild-Philippines (MTG), said the Philippine team won 5 gold medals, 7 silvers and 4 bronzes in this year's AITMO.
A total of 32 teams competed in the individual contest which was topped by Thailand, with Bulgaria in third place.
"With proper training and guidance, Filipino students proved that they can compete with students from other countries in international math competitions such as this," Chua said in a statement.
Other participating countries include South Korea, China, Indonesia, India, Iran, South Africa, Malaysia, Sri Lanka and Taiwan.
Below are the Filipino students who won in AITMO's individual contest:
- Deany Hendrick Cheng of Grace Christian College
- Sean Timothy Cheng of Grace Christian College
- Reine Jiana Reynoso of Philippine Science High School-Main
- Julius Vincent Sy of St. Stephen's High School
- Timothy James Tan of Trinity Christian School-Bacolod
- Nathaniel Ryan Ang of Xavier School
- Brandon Chan of Philippine Cultural College-Annex
- Sherralyn Bernice Chan of Saint Jude Catholic School
- Ethan Riley Chan of Zamboanga Chong Hua High School
- Rachel Rojo of Zamboanga Chong Hua High School
- Mikaela Angelina Uy of Saint Jude Catholic School
- Keefe Collin Tan of Saint Jude Catholic School
- Audrey Celine Lao of Saint Jude Catholic School
- Georemie Arrianne Concepcion of Philippine Science High School-Main
- Shawn Gabriele Cabanes of Zamboanga Chong Hua High School
- Kennichi Tan of Zamboanga Chong Hua High School