MANILA, Philippines - A group of young Filipino numbers aces made the country proud when they placed second overall in the recently concluded Wizards at Mathematics International Competition (WIZMIC) in Lucknow, India.
A total of 39 teams joined this year's WIZMIC, which was topped by Indonesia, with Thailand coming in at third place.
Other participating countries include China, Nepal, Bangladesh, South Africa, Sri Lanka and India.
Dr. Simon Chua, president of the Mathematics Trainers Guild-Philippines (MTG) said the Philippine team bagged 6 golds, 4 silvers and 4 bronze medals in the individual competition.
MTG, an organization of math experts, trains Filipinos for math competitions abroad.
Below are the Filipino students who won medals at this year's WIZMIC:
- Gene Go Jr. of Zamboanga Chong Hua High School
- Xavier Jefferson Ray Go of Zamboanga Chong Hua High School
- Rafael Villaluz of San Beda College Alabang
- Cary Albert Chan of St. Jude Catholic School
- Miko Johnson Ong Co of St. Stephen's High School
- Jasper John Segismundo of Pasig Catholic College
- Terence Brian Tsai of Chiang Kai Shek College
- Cristiana Marie Calderon of Falcon Learning Center
- Mikhaela Marie Diaz of Special Education Center for the Gifted
- Ezzekiel Young of Jubilee Christian Academy
- Lou Irish Gonzales of Pasig Catholic School
- Anica Clarice Antonella Galano of St. Paul College Pasig
- Angelika Joie Tagupa of Colegio San Agustin Makati
- Andrew Vince Lee of Xavier School