Pinoys win medals in China math contests
|Filipino medalists at the 9th China Southeast Mathematical Olympiad (top) and the 2012 China Girls' Mathematics Olympiad (bottom). Photos courtesy of MTG
MANILA, Philippines – Filipino students representing the country won in two math competitions recently held in China.
The Philippine delegation bagged medals at the 9th China Southeast Mathematical Olympiad (CSMO) held in Putian in Fujian, China, and the 2012 China Girls’ Mathematics Olympiad held in Guangzhou, China.
They brought home a total of two silvers, five bronze medals and three merit awards.
“The CGMO and CSMO are two of the most difficult math contests in the world,” said Dr. Simon Chua, president of the Mathematics Trainers Guild-Philippines, which trained the students in the said math competitions.
Below is the full list of winners:
- Adrian Reginald Sy - St. Jude Catholic School
- Austin Edrich Chua - St. Jude Catholic School
- Angelo Sevilleno - Valenzuela City Science High School
- Gen Mark Tanno - Southville International School and Colleges
- Jervis Chua - Philippine Cultural College
- Alexander Sarino - Valenzuela City Science High School
- Ma. Czarina Lao - St. Jude Catholic School
- Kelsey Lim Tiong Soon - Grace Christian College
- Reine Jiana Reynoso - Philippine Science High School-Main
- Mikaela Angelina Uy - St. Jude Catholic School