MANILA - Bicol, at the southeast of Luzon island, is one of the coolest destinations in the Philippines, either for long vacations or weekend trips. Here's ten must-see places and must-try activities in the region:
1. Mt. Mayon Skyline Adventure - It nestles on the eastern slopes of Mt. Mayon at an altitude of 2,700 feet. It is known as "heaven on earth" because of the clouds and pleasant climate. From this height, visitors can see a stunning view of the Pacific Ocean and the different towns, lakes, villages, fields and other mountains.
2. Mt. Mayon Assault Trek - Get a panoramic view of Bicol from majestic Mt. Mayon, Bicol's fiery maiden. Also, see proof of the Mayon volcano's destructive fury at the Casagawa ruins. This is truly a humbling experience.
3. Pototan Cave - A spelunking adventure site about 10 feet above the beach line. Inside, an underground river flows into the chambers and passageways. Marvel at the stalactites and stalagmites of various shapes and sizes.
4. Whale shark interaction in Donsol - One of the most popular tourist attractions in Bicol, dubbed by tourists as the "whale shark capital of the world." Swimming and interacting with the gentle giants of the sea called "butanding" is the thrill of a lifetime.
5. Firefly adventure in Donsol River - Firefly watching in the evening is one activity you should not miss. See mangroves completely covered with fireflies illuminating the trees.
6. Explore the Citadel of Faith - Visit some magnificent churches in Bicol, from Sagñay to Tigaon. Marvel at ancient infrastructure and learn about each church's unique history.
7. Manta Ray Dive at Ticao Pass - Dive with the manta rays and experience the beauty of nature's undersea wonders.
8. Wakeboarding in Camarines Sur Water Sports Complex - Learn wakeboarding, skating, water skiing, and using the kneeboard. International wakeboarders and tourists come to this first-class water sports facility to experience the thrill of their lives.
9. Explore Sorsogon - Visit the Philippine Bee Farm, Sorsogon Dairy Farm, Rizal Beach, Lake Bulusan (tagged as "The Switzerland of the Orient"), Barcelona Church, and the Mateo Hot Spring.
10. Food Trip - Don't forget to taste the rich and spicy dishes of Bicol cooked with coconut milk and "siling labuyo" (chili pepper). Known for its Bicol Express and other spicy delicacies, the place puts the "hot" in "hotspot."
For travel reservations or inquiries, call Griffin Sierra Travel Inc. at 898-2541 or email [email protected]