'Dirty Dancing' cancels Manila tour


Posted at May 30 2013 01:03 PM | Updated as of May 31 2013 06:35 PM

MANILA, Philippines – The Manila performances of the international stage musical “Dirty Dancing” have been cancelled, its producers said on Thursday.

"Dirty Dancing," the re-imagined-for-stage version of the hit movie that starred Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey, was supposed to have a 22-show run starting July 4 at the Cultural Center of the Philippines.

Key actors of the touring production, led by Bryony Whitfield and Gareth Bailey, even flew to Manila in March for a press conference, as well as mall performances.

In a statement, Lunchbox Theatrical Productions and Concertus Manila said the musical “will no longer” be coming to Manila “due to a variety of unforeseen circumstances.”

“Lunchbox Theatrical Productions & CONCERTUS Manila would like to thank all the ticket buyers and sponsors for supporting Dirty Dancing,” it said in a statement first published on the international website Broadway World, a copy of which was furnished to ABS-CBNnews.com.

“Ticket buyers are entitled to a full refund by calling TicketWorld on 891.9999 or emailing [email protected],” the statement said.

“Ticket buyers will also be provided an option to convert their tickets to our next production,” it added.

Lunchbox Theatrical Production successfully staged a string of hits in the country – "Cats," "Mamma Mia," "Stomp" and last year's "Phantom of the Opera," which was seen by an estimated 100,000 during its extended Manila run.

"Dirty Dancing" is currently playing at the Marina Bay Sands in Singapore, where it opened last May 24 and runs until June 9.