3,900 summer jobs at McDonald’s up for grabs


Posted at Mar 21 2012 02:51 PM | Updated as of Mar 26 2012 07:14 PM

MANILA, Philippines – An American fast food chain has teamed up with the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) to provide summer jobs for poor but deserving students.

Under the Special Program of Employment for Students (SPES), 3,900 beneficiaries will get a chance to work at any of McDonald’s branches nationwide, DOLE Secretary Rosalinda Dimapilis-Baldoz said.

The students will work for four to eight hours a day, six days a week from April 20 to June 20.

They will receive salaries “not less than the prevailing minimum wage in the region where they will be employed.”

“We are confident that students who will have the opportunity to work with the fast food chain will gain a very productive and valuable work experience that they can use once they are engaged in a full-time employment,” Baldoz said in a statement.

“More than the financial rewards of working, we want our youths to be empowered with significant work experience and deeper understanding of work life,” she added.

Baldoz said 60% of the amount will be paid in cash by McDonald’s, while the remaining 40% will be in the form of vouchers to be issued by the DOLE for the payment of tuition fees and books in educational institutions.

She will sign a memorandum of agreement with officials of Golden Arches Development Corp., McDonald’s franchise holder in the Philippines, on March 28.

Last year, McDonald’s had a pilot test of the SPES, which aims to help poor but deserving students pursue their education through employment in the government’s partner companies.

The program is open to students and out-of-school youth aged 17 to 20 with average passing grades, and whose parents combined income does not exceed P120,000 per year.

Other requirements include:

  • An accomplished SPES application form
  • A copy of birth certificate, or any document that shows the student’s date of birth
  • A certification by the school registrar, Form 138, or original class cards
  • A copy of the latest income tax return of parents, or a Bureau of Internal Revenue certificate for exempted parents
  • A certificate of good moral character issued by the barangay (for out-of-school youth)

Around 119,045 SPES beneficiaries were placed in short-term jobs during the summer and Christmas breaks of 2011, the highest number so far according to the DOLE.

This year, the government is targeting to provide employment for 140,000 students under the program.