MANILA, Philippines -- A 15-year-old girl bagged the Philippines' Sudoku Grandmaster title after besting 33 contestants in the 7th Philippine Sudoku Super Challenge National Finals held recently at SM City North EDSA Annex.
The winners of the 7th Philippine Sudoku Super Challenge National Finals. --Photo courtesy of MTG
Kaye Janelle Yao of Grace Christian College won the title and received P60,000 in the competition organized by the Mathematics Trainers Guild-Philippines (MTG) and SM Supermalls.
Alvin Ian Chan of Ateneo de Manila University won first runner-up and received P40,000.
Ralph Joshua Sarrosa of UP Visayas in Miagao, Iloilo placed second runner-up and received P20,000, followed by Cheyenne Hsieh of De La Salle University-Manila (third runner-up) and Ethan Riley Chan of Zamboanga Chong Hua High School (fourth runner-up).
The other winners of the 7th Philippine Sudoku Super Challenge National Finals are:
Sudoku Wizard Division (with 106 finalists)
- Champion (with P50,000 cash prize): Candice Renee Beatrice Solidarios of UP Rural High School in Los Banos, Laguna
- First runner-up (with P30,000 cash prize): Natalia Beatrice Dy of St. John's Institute in Bacolod City
- Second runner-up (with P20,000 cash prize): Mikel Paul Tan Ayroso of Grace Christian College
- Third runner-up: Romeo Esguerra of Colegio San Agustin-Binan
- Fourth runner-up: Bryan Russel Esperanza of St. Louis University Laboratory High School
Sudoku Whiz Kid Division (with 36 finalists)
- Champion (with P20,000 cash prize): Sanielle Meliz Ong of St. John's Institute
- First runner-up (with P10,000 cash prize): Vicente Raphael Chan of Zamboanga Chong Hua High School
- Second runner-up (with P5,000 cash prize): Jan Vincent Simbol of BHC Educational Institute
- Third runner-up: Albriz Moore Bagsic of Lilyrose School
- Fourth runner-up: Crilex Comicho of Bonifacio Elementary School
All winners also received a trophy each.
MTG president Dr. Simon Chua said the winners will represent the country in some international contests, namely: BRAND's Sudoku Challenge 2013 Asia Pacific Open in Singapore; 2013 World Sudoku Championship in Beijing, China; 7th BRAND's Sudoku Thailand International Open 2013 Princess Somsawali Cup; and 2013 Beijing International Sudoku Tournament.
About 5,200 players participated in the tournament's elimination round. Only 176 managed to qualify for the national finals.
The contestants solved various kinds of Sudoku puzzles including Irregular Sudoku, Windowku, Killer Sudoku, Venn Sudoku, Overlapped and Triple Sudoku.
The board of judges was headed by Dr. Jaime Caro, assistant vice president for development at the University of the Philippines, and Prof. Ma. Luisa Villano, admissions officer at Miriam College.