MANILA, Philippines – The Cinemalaya Foundation has announced the 2013 finalists for two categories of its prestigious independent film festival, which will kick off in July.
The 10 finalists for the New Breed category of the 2013 Cinemalaya Independent Film Festival include:
- “Diplomat Hotel” by Christopher Ad. Castillo
- “Transit” by Hannah Espia
- “Siyam” by Joseph Israel Laban
- “Babagwa” by Jason Paul C. Laxamana
- “Primera Bella” by Richard S. Legaspi
- “Purok 7” by Carlo Obispo
- “David F” by Emmanuel Palo
- “Rekorder” by Mikhail Red
- “Quick Change” by Eduardo Roy Jr.
- “Debosyon” by Alvin B. Yapan
Meanwhile, the five finalists for the festival’s Directors Showcase category include:
- “Porno” by Adolf B. Alix Jr.
- “Amor’y Muerte” by Cesar Evangelista
- “Extra” by Jeffrey Jeturian
- “The Liars” by Gil M. Portes
- “Sana Dati” by Jerrold Tarog
Aside from the New Breed and Directors Showcase categories, Cinemalaya also has a Short Film competition and other sections for exhibition films.
This year’s Cinemalaya will be held from July 26 to August 4 at the Cultural Center of the Philippines in Pasay City, at Greenbelt 3 mall in Makati City, and Trinoma mall in Quezon City.
The all-digital film festival and competition “aims to discover, encourage, and honor cinematic works of Filipino filmmakers,” according to a statement released by the CCP.