MANILA, Philippines - The yuletide season is over yet holiday hangovers are just winding down. And as our bodies are adversely affected by excessive food and partying, detoxification is a must.
And who says detoxification can’t be done at home?
On ABS-CBN’s "Umagang Kay Ganda" on Tuesday, alternative medicine expert Dr. Harris Acero shared cleansing regimens that can easily be done at home using ingredients readily available, to remove Christmas toxins and at the same time, start one off on a healthy habit this new year.
Acero guarantees that saluyot, garlic, and okra juices are safe and revitalizing, and can flush out all toxins and dead cells in the body.
“Saluyot juice is good for fatty liver, beer belly, digestion and colon cleansing,” Acero said.
|Fresh saluyot leaves are good for colon cleansing.
The garlic juice, on the other hand, can remove excess cholesterol in the body, and lower the risks of heart attack and stroke.
“Garlic contains allicin, a powerful, antibiotic compound that contains amino acid. It is also rich in beta carotene, iron, calcium and vitamin C,” he added.
Although okra isn't very popular because of its slimy texture, the vegetable can help eliminate risks of gallstones, constipation, and colon cancer, and lower blood sugar, said Acero.
He also reminded the public to watch out for the following symptoms of gallstones and fatty liver. “Once you feel frequent bloatedness, stomachache, discomfort on the left side and at the back, those are the signs that you have to detoxify right away,” he said.
“Start your new year right by detoxifying for a healthier 2011," Acero added. -- Nikki delos Santos, abs-cbnNEWS.com
|Okra juice can help lower blood sugar.
1 cup fresh saluyot leaves
1 cup water
3 pcs. calamansi
1 tbsp. honey
1. Place saluyot leaves in a blender.
2. Pour in water. (Note: The amount of saluyot leaves and water must always be 1:1.)
3. Squeeze calamansi and add to the mixture. Pour in honey.
4. "Pulse" blend until a smooth consistency is achieved.
Note: Use a straw in sipping saluyot juice. Drink 1 cup a day for two weeks.
garlic (preferably Ilocos garlic due to its concentration)
10 pcs. calamansi
1 tbsp. honey
1. Crush garlic cloves and squeeze juices out. Take out garlic cloves.
2. Squeeze calamansi juice into the garlic juice.
3. Pour in honey.
4. Set aside and leave overnight
Note: Garlic juice is acidic, so it must rest overnight to allow its natural juices to neutralize.
1 cup water
1. Slice okra diagonally into 1-inch pieces.
2. Soak okra pieces in water overnight.
3. Pour okra juice into a cup with some okra slices and serve.