#FlashbackFriday: Duterte vowed to sign waiver in 2nd debate

ABS-CBN News

Presidential candidate Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte answers questions from media during a press conference to clarify his alleged secret bank accounts in Pasay City, 29 April 2016. Mike Alquinto/NPPA

MANILA - Not just once, but twice.

Leading presidential candidate Rodrigo Duterte (PDP-Laban) had publicly agreed to sign a bank waiver not just once, but twice, in the interest of transparency.

In March, Duterte and his running mate, Sen. Alan Peter Cayetano, signed a manifesto and also challenged other candidates to sign a waiver on bank secrecy.

The same challenge was echoed by Sen. Grace Poe during the 2nd presidential debate to Vice President Jejomar Binay, with Duterte offering to sign it too last March 20 in Cebu.

Watch the video below:

Poe fired the first salvo against Binay after questioning the vice-president's word that he would issue an executive order backing the Freedom of Information Bill if he is elected president.

The senator challenged Binay to sign a waiver on his bank accounts. The latter then said he had already signed one and challenged the others to sign the same.

"Pinirmahan ko na po ito. Yayayain ko kayo na pirmahan natin ho. Waiver ho, yung AMLC na tayo ay imbestigahan para makita po yung lifestyle at executive performance," he said.

For his part, Duterte said that if he is elected president, he will make sure that government officials cooperate on signing a similar waiver.

The Davao City mayor then turned to Binay and said: "Nandiyan na yung waiver mo, Vice-President? Nandiyan na yung waiver? Nakakatakot na. Pirmahan ko diyan sa harap mo."

Duterte also told Binay that he would withdraw from the presidential race if he is found culpable after an AMLC investigation.

"I'd like to be very, very brutally frank, to the Vice President. Sir, marami kang kaso sa COA [Commission on Audit] at sa Ombudsman. Hindi, public knowledge naman 'yan. At ako naman ay sinasabi ng UNA [United Nationalist Alliance] na there's a technical malversation. Ang tanong ko, if you can produce ... pirmahan namin iyan, tapos 'pag may kaso ako, we will withdraw from the presidency derby."

However, Binay downplayed Duterte's dare and said he will not withdraw from the presidential race since he has not done anything unlawful.

"Alam mo, yung sinabi mo, Digong, magwithdraw sa presidency. E kaso, 'yung premise mo, e iyong may kasalanan mag-withdraw. Ako, hindi ako nagnakaw, bakit ako magwiwithdraw? Kung ikaw, sa konsensya mo, may kasalanan ka, mag-withdraw ka."

Dueterte took Binay's reply in stride and said Binay won't withdraw from the race since he has already spent so much for the campaign.

"O hindi kaya dahil malaki na ang gastos mo?" he told Binay.

In March, Duterte and his running mate, Sen. Alan Peter Cayetano, signed a manifesto and openly challenged other candidates to sign a waiver on bank secrecy on all their bank accounts.

KNOW THE WHOLE STORY