MEXICO CITY - Mexico City was gripped Tuesday by the case of a 10-year-old boy who was shot in the head at a packed movie theater, without anyone hearing a gunshot.
The killing during the screening of the Disney 3D animated movie "Wreck-It Ralph" took place earlier this month in the crime-infested Iztapalapa borough, but the city prosecutor's office only made it public late Monday.
Authorities said they sealed off the Cinepolis movie complex, were demanding security camera recordings and interrogating employees.
The boy's father, Enrique Cuacuas, told local radio that he felt something "whiz" by his ear and then saw his son Hendrick convulsing around 15 minutes after the movie started on November 2.
"There was no shot, there was no noise, there was no flash that happens when there's a shot," he told Radio Red.
The head of the city's forensics science institute, Felipe Takajashi Medina, said the shot came from a meter (yard) in front of the boy.
The legal director for the Cinepolis theater chain, Pablo Jimenez, said 274 people were in the cinema when the boy was wounded.
"Nobody noticed an attack or the firing of a firearm inside the theater," Jimenez told Foro TV.
The fact that it was a gunshot wound was not know when the father rushed to a hospital with his son, he added.
The boy died from his wound two days after the shooting, the prosecutor's office said.
Jimenez said Cinepolis was "dismayed and worried" about the boy's death, which followed another "inexplicable" incident in March in which a person was wounded in the foot.
© 1994-2012 Agence France-Presse