US reporter held by Syrian forces: employers

Agence France-Presse

Posted at Aug 31 2012 08:02 AM | Updated as of Aug 31 2012 04:07 PM

WASHINGTON - An American freelance journalist whose whereabouts in Syria were unknown for more than two weeks is being held by the Syrian government, his employers said Thursday.

The Washington Post, citing diplomatic sources, said that Austin Tice, 31, was detained near the Damascus suburb of Daraya, where activists say forces loyal to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad massacred hundreds of people last week.

Czech Ambassador to Syria Eva Filipi, who has overseen US interests in Syria since the US embassy was closed in February, told a Czech television station on Monday that the reporter was "detained by government forces on the outskirts of Damascus, where the rebels were fighting government troops."

Tice wrote for the Post and McClatchy Newspapers, among other publications, and both outlets called for his prompt release.

"We're investigating reports that Austin Tice is in the custody of Syrian authorities," Post executive editor Marcus Brauchli said in a statement.

"If the reports are true, we urge these authorities to release him promptly, unharmed. Journalists should never be detained for doing their work, even -- and especially -- in difficult circumstances."

Anders Gyllenhaal, McClatchy vice president for news, said that if Tice "is in fact being held by the Syrian government, we would expect that he is being well cared for and that he will quickly be released."

The US State Department said the Assad government has declined to respond to official inquiries about Tice, and that US diplomats were working through Czech mediation "to get more information on his welfare and whereabouts," according to McClatchy.

The newspaper group said Tice entered Syria in May without a visa, a common practice for journalists seeking to report on the war as Damascus issues few press visas. Many correspondents have crossed the border independently.

He then traveled throughout Syria with rebel forces, and reached the Damascus area in late July, setting up base in Daraya, which was pounded for days by Assad regime forces.

McClatchy said Tice last communicated with his colleagues on August 13, though he did not indicate how he planned to leave Syria.

© 1994-2012 Agence France-Presse