Al-Qaeda leaders who have been killed or captured
ISLAMABAD - The main Al-Qaeda leaders who have been killed or captured since the September 11, 2001 attacks on the United States:
- March 28, 2002: Palestinian Abu Zubeida, Osama bin Laden's right-hand man, is arrested in Pakistan.
- Late October: Saudi Abdul Rahim al-Nashiri, the organisation's top operations manager in the Gulf, is arrested in the United Arab Emirates.
- March 1, 2003: Al-Qaeda number three and suspected mastermind of the September 11 attacks, Khaled Sheikh Mohammed, is arrested in Pakistan.
- Aug 14: Indonesian Riduan Isamuddin, known as Hambali, and suspected of being Al-Qaeda's representative in Southeast Asia and the alleged mastermind of the 2002 Bali bombings, is arrested in Thailand.
- June 18, 2004: Saudi Abdul Aziz al-Muqrin, Al-Qaeda's suspected leader in Saudi Arabia, is killed in Riyadh. His predecessor, Yemeni Khaled Ali Haj, had been killed three months earlier.
- May 2, 2005: Libyan Abu Faraj al-Libbi, Al-Qaeda's number three and the head of the network in Pakistan, is arrested in the northwest of the country.
- Aug 11: A Jordanian of Pakistani origin, Abu Qatada, presented as Al-Qaeda's "ambassador" in Europe, is arrested in Britain for the second time.
- Feb 27, 2006: Saudi Fahd al-Joweir, chief of Al-Qaeda in Saudi Arabia, is killed near Riyadh. His predecessor, Saleh Al-Oufi, was killed in August 2005.
- June 7: The head of the Iraqi section of Al-Qaeda, Jordanian Abu Mussab al-Zarkawi, is killed in an air raid during a US-Iraqi operation to the north of Baghdad.
- Sept 25: Kuwaiti Omar al-Farouk, lieutenant of bin Laden and suspected chief of Al-Qaeda in Southeast Asia, is killed by British troops in Basra in southern Iraq.
- Jan 29, 2008: An Al-Qaeda commander in Afghanistan, Abu Laith al-Libi, one of bin Laden's leading lieutenants, is killed by a US missile in northwest Pakistan.
- April 18, 2010: Al-Qaeda's suspected chief in Iraq, Abu Omar al-Baghdadi, and his military chief Abu Ayub al-Masri are killed in joint US-Iraqi military operations in northern Baghdad.
- June 1: Al-Qaeda says Mustafa Abu al-Yazid, its number three leader and chief of operations in Afghanistan, has been killed.
- May 1, 2011: US President Barack Obama announces that US forces killed bin Laden and recovered his body during a commando operation at Abbottabad, a city just north of Islamabad.