Pinoy killed in oil rig blast identified

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Nov 20 2012 02:24 PM | Updated as of Nov 20 2012 10:24 PM

MANILA, Philippines – The Filipino who was killed in the oil platform explosion in the Gulf of Mexico has been identified.

DNR Offshore & Crewing Services, Inc. said the fatality was Ellroy Corporal of Iligan.

The manpower agency also said that another Filipino, identified as Jerome Malagapo from Cebu, remains missing.

Six Filipinos who were working on the oil platform as welders, riggers and scaffolders were involved in the accident.

The remaining four Filipinos were injured and brought to a hospital for treatment.

“The first two patients remain in critical condition. The third is in serious condition, and I am pleased to share that the fourth patient has demonstrated significant progress and is in fair condition,” said Dr. Jeffrey Littleton of the Baton Rouge General Medical Center.

The explosion happened Friday morning last week as some maintenance workers were trying to cut into an oil pipe on the platform. The contractor, Grand Isle Shipyard, said the cause of the blaze has yet to be determined.

Meanwhile, the manpower agency vows to help the families of the victims

“Pati yung counseling, we are sending people to counsel them yung trauma na inabot ng family and also financially...were ready,” said Jesse Collera, human resources manager and head of corporate communications of DNR Offshore & Crewing Services, Inc.

The travel papers of the relatives of the victims are now being processed to allow them to visit their loved ones in America. Report from Atom Araullo, ABS-CBN News