MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) is sending two rapid response teams for the possible evacuation of about a hundred Filipinos in the Gaza Strip.
“Today we are sending two teams of rapid response team to both Egypt and Israel to augment our personnel in those embassies and to help out in the possible evacuation of the 100 Filipinos in Gaza Strip,” said DFA spokesperson Assistant Secretary Raul Hernandez.
Hernandez however said no Filipino casualties have been reported so far from the conflict.
He added that both Philippine posts are now conducting a mapping operation to try and find out “where exactly our people are in Gaza Strip and also preparing them for possible evacuation”.
Hernandez said Filipinos in Gaza are really at risk because they are in the area where the exchange of fire occurs.
“We have been informed by the Filipino families there that of course they are apprehensive about their situation and condition, but what they're doing is that they're staying in their houses and also in the bunkers,” he said
He added that the embassies in Tel Aviv and in Cairo are in constant communication with the families there.
On Sunday, an Israeli missile killed at least 11 in the Gaza Strip. The attack was described as the single deadliest airstrike since the violence between Israel and Palestinian militant group, Hamas, began.
Gaza health officials estimate at least 72 have been killed in the fighting since last week. With ANC