ABS-CBN News

No Pinoys hurt in California quake - DFA

Posted at | Updated as of 08/26/14 12:51 AM

MANILA, Philippines - No Filipinos were reported to have been injured after a 6.0 magnitude earthquake struck Napa, California on Sunday, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said.

"According to our Consulate General in San Francisco, they have not received any report of Filipinos affected by the earthquake in California," DFA spokesman Charles Jose said.

The quake, the biggest in California in 25 years, jolted many residents out of bed when it hit at 3:20 a.m. (1020 GMT). It was centered 6 miles (10 km) south of the city of Napa.

The DFA said the consulate is closely coordinating with city officials and Filipino community leaders to monitor the situation of Filipinos and Filipino-Americans.

The San Francisco consulate has also activated a 24-hour emergency hotline.

"We encouraged everyone to practice extreme caution during an earthquake or its ensuing aftershocks in order to reduce the risk of injury or death," the consulate said.

At least 33 buildings in the city of Napa, a city of 77,000, had been "red-tagged," meaning they were unsafe to enter, said Napa Community Development Director Rick Tooker. Inspectors had accessed about a third of all structures and planned to complete the work on Monday.

Napa's Queen of the Valley Medical Center said it had treated 172 patients injured in the quake.

California Governor Jerry Brown declared a state of emergency, putting all state resources at the disposal of his Office of Emergency Services. The quake was felt throughout the San Francisco Bay area. - With report from Reuters