Pinoy baby dies from 'medical malpractice' in Italy


Posted at Aug 02 2012 06:07 PM | Updated as of Aug 04 2012 02:23 AM

ITALY – Authorities are still investigating the death of a Filipina’s newborn baby, two months after the infant died allegedly from natural causes in a hospital in Rome.


Jacquilin Belen De Vega still cannot get over the death of her first born, Marcus Johannes, after newspaper reports stated that the baby allegedly did not die from a natural death.


“Nagkaroon daw ng pagkakamali ang nurse na imbes na IV ang ilagay sa dextrose. Ang nailagay niya ang tube ng milk na doon nagkaroon ng pagkakamali,” said De Vega.


De Vega was only 26 weeks when she gave birth to Marcus at the Grassi Di Ostia. But the lack of proper equipment prompted doctors there to advise her to transfer her baby to another medical facility, the San Giovanni Addolorata Hospital.


“Maliit man siya pero I was assured by the doctor that the baby was big, big enough to live pagkapanganak,” she said.


De Vega recounted that on June 27, she received a call from the hospital telling her that Marcus was in critical condition.


“Nakita ko na tatlong dextrose na ang nakalagay sa kanya pati iyong respirator niya,” said De Vega.


Marcus passed away on the day he turned one month old on June 29.


“Walang nagsabi sa akin na may error. They established the cause of death as natural death…na iyong lungs niya was too small for him to live. Siyempre ako, for 30 days nandoon ako na inilagaan nila ang baby ko, so I trusted [them],” she said.


Police took Marcus’ remains from the funeral parlor to undergo an autopsy.


“Kinuha ng mga pulis ung body ni Marcus. Tinanong ko kung bakit kinuha. Somebody from the hospital daw reported about his case. Sinasabi sa akin na hindi clear ang pagkamatay ni Marcus or let say it is not indicated in any documents of the cause of his death,” she stated.


De Vega is being represented by her lawyer-employer to get to the bottom of the case.


“We went to the Tribunale di Roma and I had my first preliminary interrogation with the public prosecutor, with Leonardo Frizani,” she said.


The 28-year-old Pinay is not giving up until justice is served to her son.


“Wala na akong choice kundi ang magpakatatag sa sitwasyon ko at I know this is Marcus wish also to be strong kasi I need to continue his fight,” she said.


The baby’s body is at the Tor Vergata to undergo another autopsy on August 3.


De Vega plans to have her son’s remains cremated when the investigation is over. She said she will bring his ashes back home with her to the Philippines. Report from Jocelyn Ruiz Roxas, ABS-CBN Europe News Bureau.