DFA chief to oversee OFW repatriation in Libya

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Aug 01 2014 11:13 AM | Updated as of Aug 01 2014 08:07 PM

MANILA - Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario has left for Tunisia to personally oversee the repatriation of thousands of Filipinos in Libya.

Del Rosario said he will be reviewing the government's repatriation plan.

The DFA raised crisis alert 4 in Libya which calls for a mandatory repatriation of all Filipinos there. However, of the estimated 13,000 Filipinos in Libya, only 760 Filipinos have been flown home so far.

The Philippine government, Del Rosario said, is in the process of contracting ships from Malta to evacuate Filipinos from still in Libya.

"Our major challenge-- as in 2011-- is to convince our folks that they must leave Libya at the soonest time to avoid the perils of a highly exacerbating situation there," Del Rosario said in a text message.

DFA spokesperson, Assistant Secretary Charles Jose, explained that the situation in Libya "is really getting from bad to worse".

"There's widespread lawlessness and breakdown of law and order," Jose said. "We hope that our overseas Filipinos there now realize how bad the situation is and they would avail of the repatriation offer."